- Reviews and evaluates safety standards associated with the operation and use of the Nuclear Science Center
- Determines whether a proposed change, test, or experiment would constitute a change in technical specifications or an unreviewed safety question
- Approves alternative specifications where original specifications do not apply for additions, modifications, or maintenance to important reactor systems
- Reviews and approves new experiments
- Monitors reactor operations at least quarterly
- Reviews and approves resumption of pulsing after the measured fuel temperature exceeds 600°C during a pulse, or when the power level exceeds 2800 megawatts during a pulse
Composition and tenure
- 5 qualified faculty, administrative and professional personnel, or staff, appointed by the president, on the recommendation of the vice president for research, with 4-year terms (F-A/P-S)
- Director, Nuclear Science Center, or representative, who serves as secretary; radiation safety supervisor (X)
Chair is nominated for approval by the president.
Responsible to the president through the vice president for research.