The president is the chief executive officer of the multi-campus Washington State University system and reports to a 10-member Board of Regents.
As the University’s leader, the president collaborates with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders to define the vision and set the direction for the institution. As the champion of its reputation, the president articulates the strategic goals and messages of the University in order to build broad support for and ownership of WSU’s aspirations among its many constituents, including faculty, staff, students, alumni, the Board of Regents, the WSU Foundation, local communities, government, business, and industry leaders statewide, the media, and the general public.
Duties and responsibilities
The president is responsible for creating the blueprint and building the commitment that leads the University toward fulfillment of its long-term goals. The WSU Strategic Plan, 2020-2025, identifies the current goals and strategies in place to advance the University’s aspiration of becoming one of the nation’s leading land-grant universities.
Another major responsibility of the president is to lead the institution in the acquisition of resources, focusing particularly on the development and implementation of initiatives to attract new sources of financial support. The president works collaboratively with the Board of Regents, faculty, staff, and strategic partners to identify and articulate federal funding priorities and set the priorities of future private fundraising campaigns.
The president also guides important governance precedents involving WSU’s role as a statewide university with five campuses and multiple delivery systems evolves.
The president directs an executive leadership team that includes:
- Executive Vice President and Provost
- Executive Vice President for Finance and Administration and Chief Financial Officer
- Vice President for Academic Outreach and Innovation
- Vice President and Chief Human Resource Officer
- Vice President for Development and CEO of the WSU Foundation
- Vice President for External Affairs and Government Relations
- Vice President of Health Sciences
- Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer
- Vice President for International Programs
- Vice President for Marketing and Communications
- Vice President for Research
- Vice President of Strategy, Planning, and Analysis
- Associate Vice President/Chief Budget Officer
- Director of Internal Audit
- Chancellor, WSU Everett
- Chancellor, WSU Global
- Chancellor, WSU Pullman
- Chancellor, WSU Spokane
- Chancellor, WSU Tri-Cities
- Chancellor, WSU Vancouver
The president is responsible for the development of a comprehensive and responsible budget that is used to advance the institution’s strategic goals and priorities. The president is also responsible for overseeing both human and financial resources in a manner that ensures accountability.