- Review at least once every six months the institution’s program for humane care and use of animals;
- Inspect at least once every six months all of the institution’s animal facilities (including satellite facilities);
- Prepare reports of the IACUC evaluations and submit the reports to the Institutional Official (IO);
- Review and, if warranted, investigate concerns involving the care and use of animals involved in WSU research and teaching activities;
- Make recommendations to the IO regarding any aspect of the institution’s animal program, facilities, or personnel training;
- Review and approve, require modifications to secure approval, or withhold approval of proposed research and teaching activities involving animals;
- Review and approve, require modifications to secure approval, or withhold approval of proposed significant changes (amendments) regarding the use of animals in ongoing activities;
- Suspend an activity involving animals when it is determined that the activity is not being conducted in accordance with the Animal Welfare Act, the Guide, the Animal Welfare Assurance, the approved ASAF, or applicable University or IACUC policies;
Note: IACUC suspension must occur at a convened meeting with a vote of the majority; and Develop IACUC policies, guidelines, and SOPs to help ensure the Animal Care and Use Program (ACUP) is meeting the standards outlined in this document
Composition and tenure
The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) shall consist of not less than 5 members, and include at least:
- 1 practicing scientist experienced in research involving animals
- 1 doctor of veterinary medicine with training or experience in laboratory animal medicine and with direct or delegated University-wide authority for activities involving animals
- 1 member not affiliated in any way with the University and who has no immediate family members affiliated with the University. This member is intended to provide community representation for general community interests in the proper care and treatment of animals.
- 1 member whose primary concerns are in a non-scientific area
- Faculty, staff, and/or administrative professional who has experience and expertise in the care and use of animals in instruction and research
- Director, Office of the Campus Veterinarian (OCV)
Terms are for 3 years. Some individual members may fulfill the requirements of more than 1 committee role.
The President has delegated the authority to appoint the IACUC to the Vice President for Research. See BPPM 45.45 “Research and Teaching Activities Involving Animals”. Responsible to the president, through the vice president for research.
If you have any questions about the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, please contact the Assistant Director- Animal Welfare Program in the Office of Research Assurances – email@example.com. IACUC Polices, guideline and SOPs can be found online at https://iacuc.wsu.edu/