Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
- Recommends institutional policies for the production, procurement and care of live, vertebrate animals used in instruction and research; the condition of animal facilities; and the training of animal researchers, caretakers, and technicians, in accordance with state and federal regulations
- Reviews applications for all use of live, vertebrate animals in instruction and research
- Investigates complaints of misuse of animals used in instruction and research
- Performs site visits to animal facilities at least every 6 months
- Submits reports as appropriate to the Office of Research
Composition and tenure
The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) shall consist of not less than 5 members, and include at least:
- 1 practicing scientist experienced in research involving animals
- 1 doctor of veterinary medicine with training or experience in laboratory animal medicine and with direct or delegated University-wide authority for activities involving animals
- 1 member not affiliated in any way with the University and who has no immediate family members affiliated with the University. This member is intended to provide community representation for general community interests in the proper care and treatment of animals.
- 1 member whose primary concerns are in a non-scientific area
- Faculty, staff, and/or administrative professional who has experience and expertise in the care and use of animals in instruction and research
- Director, Office of the Campus Veterinarian (OCV)
Terms are for 3 years. Some individual members may fulfill the requirements of more than 1 committee role.
All are appointed by the president, on recommendation of the vice president for research.
Responsible to the president, through the vice president for research.
If you have any questions about the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, please contact the IACUC coordinator in the Office of Research Assurances – email@example.com
Please contact the Office of Research for a current roster of committee members.